Update: The Creative Challenge has ended, but the pattern is still available to download here & instructions for drawing the pattern are here. If you need some help getting started with tools and materials I've got you covered too. Check out my Sashiko Mending Kits, Tools section or even my book Make and Mend.
I'd love to see what you make! Please note this is for personal use only.
For awhile now I've been dreaming up ways that I could build community all while sharing some inspiration and hand sewing skills. That's how this Miniature Rhino Creative Challenge was conceived. I've created a free pattern for you and challenge you to get creative in how you use it.
The idea is for us to work on a common pattern (download) throughout the month of March. The download contains all the entry details and some tips on how to use the pattern as well. The project is your choice, but we can share our work in progress and finished projects along the way (#MRCCxSM). As one example, I stitched a single row of the pattern around a shirt. The possibilities are endless- what can you think up?!
And, there's a sweet prize for one lucky participant generously donated by Claudia of Snuggly Monkey.
The inspiration for this creative challenge comes from traditional sewing circles and quilting bees, where people would gather together as a social event to sew and quilt. I'm really curious to see what you'll make and who joins in.
Throughout the month I'll share some ideas and how-tos. Tomorrow I'll share how to draw the pattern out so you can apply it to just about anything, so look out for that! I'd also love to share your images occasionally throughout the month to see what projects that are being made. Fingers crossed it's not just me! Ha!
If you need some help getting started with tools and materials I've got you covered too. Check out my Sashiko Mending Kits, Tools section or even my book Make and Mend.
Here's how to participate & enter to win the goodie pack from Snuggly Monkey:
- Download the pattern here. The download features a full size pattern, entry details and some tips on how to use the pattern. Look out for some posts throughout the month sharing how-tos and inspiration.
- Make! Use this pattern any way you like (mend, embellish, quilt, even stamp). I'd love to see all the creative ways you can add some pattern to your projects. It doesn't need to be an exact replica of the pattern download. Any size or dimension. Just use this pattern in some way in your project.
- Share your wip and finished projects on instagram using the hashtag #MRCCxSM
- Follow both @miniaturerhino and @snugglymonkey
- The creative challenge will last throughout the month of March, so that gives you some time to make something. Post by midnight March 31 to enter. If you have a private account please DM me your pic.
- A winner will be chosen randomly from the entries and announced on April 2nd.
As a sweet bonus for joining in Claudia of Sunggly Monkey has donated a lovely prize package for one lucky winner. The Snuggly Monkey bundle of goodies includes:
- A rainbow of 21 cotton Olympus sashiko threads
- Thread Cutter Finger Ring
- Set of 3 needle caps (I'd never seen these before, but they snap onto your needle for protection while moving about and makes them easy to find.)
- Bronze Palm Thimble
- Assortment of Tulip Sashiko Needles
Just a note: This idea was just for fun! Neither I or Snuggly Monkey are being paid for this. There's no purchase necessary to participate. I don't even know if this note is necessary, but just wanted to make sure it was clear that this is just a girl standing in front of the internet, cooking up some fun with a creative challenge, and asking you to play along.